The Town, in coordination with MassDOT, is planning improvements to Route 1A where it intersects Cherry Street, Monument Street, and Arbor Street which will include a redesign of the existing roadway by installing more/better signage, designated turning lanes at key locations, and up to two (2) fully signalized intersections. This project will also include improvements to the existing sidewalks, the installation of new sidewalks, and the redesign/relocation of existing pedestrian crosswalks.
Since Route 1A is a state road, MassDOT will be the project lead, but the Town has been and will continue to be actively involved in the design and decision making processes. As we consider beginning preliminary design work, a public meeting was held Thursday, November 29, 2018 to inform our residents and downtown businesses about the purpose, goals, needs, and design parameters of the project. All input provided by relevant stakeholders is being considered as part of this public outreach process.
The next meeting will be held:
Click the links below to access contracts, presentations and Board of Selectmen meeting materials on this project:
- 15% Design Plan Update Presentation by Bayside Engineering - July 30, 2020
- Contract with Bayside Engineering, Inc. to provide 25% design plans and cost estimates based upon Alternative 4A - November 19, 2019
- Presentation by Bayside Engineering - November 19, 2019
- BOS Meeting Packet Backup on Main Street Traffic Project - November 19, 2019 meeting
- Contract with Bayside Engineering for Preliminary Site Work - December 18, 2018
- Main Street Traffic Improvement Discussion - BOS Meeting December 18, 2018
- Public Meeting Notice - November 29, 2018
- Proposed Main Street Traffic Improvements - November 29, 2018 Public Meeting Presentation
- Report from Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) - September 27, 2018
- CTPS presentation to the Town and draft report - April 26, 2018 (Please note that the BOS Meeting Packet Backup on Main Street Traffic Project includes multiple traffic simulations and is almost 100MB.)
The Main Street Traffic Improvement Public Meeting and all Board of Selectmen's meetings are recorded by HWCAM and available on HWCAM's YouTube Channel.
Questions regarding this project may be directed to Anthony Ansaldi, Town Administrator at email@example.com.